Saturday, May 10, 2008

Courage

Today's Inspiration Challenge involved the suncatcher (shown to the left) from Dreaming in Color. I had attempted a circle card before, and this suncatcher made me think that an oval card could not be that much more difficult. It really was pretty easy.

I used my Coluzzle oval template to give me the nested ovals. I decided to find some paper with similar colors as the suncatcher. Also, I chose to paper piece a butterfly to coincide with the suncatcher. I got my idea for the piecing from Karen's great CASE of sparklegirl's card. When I was almost finished with embellishments, I decided ribbon was needed for an additional texture, hence the stapled ribbon on the butterfly.

Now, the rest of the story. Today is the annual Race for the Cure in Peoria. I purchased Technique Tuesday's Celebrate Life set, created to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Cancer Center. I purchased it on behalf of the women I know who have struggled with breast cancer (and have beaten it!). So, I thought it was fitting that I should use the set today.

A reason for choosing the "C is for Courage" sentiment is that I seemed to lack courage over the last month or so. I needed to be painfully honest with a friend, and I could not do it. The problem is, that ended up hurting another friend. I was in a situation that I am not typically in... paralyzed by indecision. I have said my apologies, and have gotten forgiveness, but the feeling still lingers for me because nothing could be more out of character for me. So, this card can also serve as a reminder, I suppose.

Size: 3 7/8 x 5 inches (oval at longest parts)
Paper: Bazzill textured cardstock (base); My Mind's Eye Bohemian Light Blue/Medallions (butterfly); Webster's Pages Vintage Home Collection "Shenendoah" (oval)
Stamps: Celebrate Life (Technique Tuesday)
Ribbon: SU! Chocolate Chip twill
Hardware: SU! Hodgepodge Hardware, staples

No comments: