Monday, April 14, 2008

Smile though your heart is aching...

At first, I looked at today's SCS Try a New Technique Challenge and thought, "No, thank you." I was wondering what, exactly, was the purpose of a "Double Pocket Card?" Then I decided that seeing it "in person" was worth a try. I am so glad I did! I love this card, and it took shape as I created it. I know exactly who will be receiving this, too.

If you have followed my blog, you have realized that I have an obsession with SEI. You could call it a "phase." I just really love their stuff. So, I reached for Ally's Wonderland, and off I went. For the pocket parts of the card, I used a sheet of Morning Glory. For the "sentiment markers," I used Tea Time Tulips on the backs and Dragonfly on the fronts. For the circle tabe on the tops of the sentiment markers, I used the stickers that came with the Ally's Wonderland assortment pack.

This was also a new technique for me in that I used the iron-on velvet transfers that came with this set. Now, I am additionally hooked. They went on great and they look fabulous.

From the moment I ironed on the word "smile," the Nat King Cole song would not leave my head. So, I thought, what the heck? I have a friend who had some bad news about her dad today, and I thought maybe these lyrics and the card would help cheer her up.

For a great tutorial, please see this blog. Judy does a great job explaining the very simple process of creating the Double Pocket Card.

And now, for all the lyrics, because... hey... it's my blog...

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, whats the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, whats the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This really turned out fabulous, JoLynn! I didn't have a chance to make one yet (I was busy making some birthday items for someone...), but I think I definitely need to try one!