Saturday, January 3, 2009

Give Triadic a Try

Yes, I am feeling like a scrapbooking queen lately. I am also avoiding some other things I need to do. This feels better at the moment.

What a better page to do on a dreary, gray, cold, January day than a July 4th layout! Woo hoo! This marked the beginning of my "wannabe photog" phase. I was starting to look at photos through the eyes of a scrapbooker.
In our Week 6 assignments, Cathy gave us a set of triadic colors for the Real World Color layout. Since I had already completed a "Halloween" layout for 2008, I challenged myself to think outside of Halloween for these colors. Triadic colors are colors that sit on opposing sides on the color wheel. The picture shown is Cathy's depiction of where the three colors would be on the wheel. You can use all three colors, add a neutral, or drop a color and still be pretty safe in your design.
At first, I tried finding pictures with one or more of these colors. Max's shirt had a little green, and I had yet to scrapbook this photo (one of my favs), so I went with it. I used black as my neutral. Then, surprisingly, I used some patterned paper that I did not necessarily like presented as a 12 x 12 sheet. This was from a huge holidays scrap pack from The Paper Studio (Hobby Lobby). As I thumbed through my papers, I realized that this pattern included all of the colors (plus a few more), and the stars went well with the topic. When cut into smaller "gulps," the pattern is not too bad.
I decided to cut out some of the stars from the scraps to add unity to the design, rather than just leave the big empty color blocks (which would have looked OK, too). To finish it off, I used some chipboard Thickers (black) and my SU! Curly Label punch for my scant bit of "journaling."
Ah, makes me want to grab my suit and head to the pool. AHHHH! Wait! Gotta get my body pool-ready first before I scare small children. :)

No comments: