Tuesday, July 1, 2008

'Wat' up, Homie?

That has been a catch phrase of mine for the longest time. Probably since the "Homie don't play dat," days of In Living Color (you can probably guess my age now, right?)

So, when I saw these stamps from Memory Box at Scrapbook Friend'z yesterday, after I laughed out loud, I had to buy them. So, so funny. Memory Box is having a contest for cards using their penguins, too. So, I considered this my "starter card" for the contest. It's also my "starter" Nestabilities card. Yup, I caved in finally and bought a set of oval shapes and a set of oval scallops (ellipses, if you want to be mathematically-correct; ovals if you want people to know what you are talking about).

Today's color challenge (Wild Wasabi, Purely Pomegranate, and Certainly Celery) was my victim. I must say that this turned out so much better than I had anticipated, and I think it is due to the patterned paper (Tuscany by Provo Craft) It gives a richer feel than the colors can naturally give to each other.

I did some paper piecing with his coat and hat, and some paper piercing on the sides of the ovals and at the opposite corners. You may have to click for the larger image to see that. I used a Dew Drop for his magnifying glass... worked perfectly and I didn't have to wait for it to dry like you do with Crystal Effects.

So, in all, I love the layout and most of the colors (I think Certainly Celery was a stretch). I will definitely paper piece my contest card, but I think I will skip the piercing. It was not enough bang for my buck. The Pomegranate was just enough of the red hue for me... deep enough for my typical color scheme. In all, not so shabby. What you think, G?

Size: 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches
Paper: Provo Craft Tuscany, SU! Purely Pomegranate, Certainly Celery, and Wild Wasabi, Papertrey white
Stamps: Memory Box Detective Penguin and What's Up Holmes?
Tools: Spellbinders Nestabilities, paper piercing, SU! Dimensionals

No comments: