Sunday, July 14, 2013

Hello Story - Timeline Story Structure


I began Ali Edwards' Hello Story class from (you guessed it) Big Picture Scrapbooking this week.  For the next 11 weeks, I am privileged to watch videos from one of my favorite creative minds in the industry...in the comfort of my own home.

Each week, Ali will focus on what she terms "story structures," or ways to tell the story that scrapbooking is about.  This week was focused on using a timeline to tell a story.  Ali presented several layout springboards, but we were not bound to them by any means.  My layout is inspired by a timeline she did of her own life.  I chose to do a timeline of Friday's happenings with some friends.


Ali provided the timeline .png file.  She also provided the "my life" file, which I cut with my Silhouette.  Let me express how IMPORTANT the paper was for this thin cut.  I tried Bazzill Orange Peel and it was not a good time.  I went back to Neenah Solar White cardstock.  I might not use anything else in that machine!  It was perfect!

As we went throughout our day on Friday, I noted on my iPhone what happened from the time I got up until the time I finally was back in bed.  When something came up, I just jotted it in my note.  Then I decided what the most important "story" part of the day was, and I created the time line events.

The biggest decision was to take the Nikon or not.  Scott insisted that I should not, as he feared it would be confiscated.  Hindsight: Heck ya, I should have taken it!  Thank goodness for my pal Lisa, as the concert pics were all taken off the "jumbotron" with her camera.  No, we were NOT that close to the stage!  Still, she got amazing pics.  It was hard to choose!  I took the pic of Taste of Chicago and the selfie of all of us in our seats with my iPhone.

I knew I needed to determine how to make this mesh with a timeline layout.  I created, at first, a 12 x 4 canvas in Photoshop, and quickly learned that would not work for the pics I chose.  I changed it to 12 x 8, so most of the pics are cropped at 4 x 4 with 300 dpi.  The top one could not be square... it was just too awesome of a shot of the enormous, car-themed stage surroundings with the silhouette of the band...gave me goosebumps!  I then layered Ali's provided blank timeline onto the side and printed on glossy paper.

I used a couple more ideas that were Ali-inspired: I adhered the image to a piece of patterned paper from Farm House Paper Company and then wrote each event with white gel pen. I used Stampin' Up! linen thread and SU! Hodgepodge Hardware brads for the event lines.  I literally just poked and threaded right through the paper.  I guesstimated (gasp!) where I wanted the events to go, trying to give more vertical space to things that took a while, but no real "measuring out."

I used my Silhouette to cut "my life," and used Dear Lizzy Thickers and AC Remarks Autumn alpha stickers for "it's."  Bon Jovi fans understand that is the name of a song of theirs, and it's one of my FAVORITE songs, so I thought that was perfect. 

You cannot see the date stamp, but I tried to use my Studio Calico rotary date stamp using the word "Epic."  Stamped it a few times with SU! white craft ink, but it just kind of faded, so I stamped the date by itself as well.  Almost looks like an intended part of the page.

I am pretty pleased, and this will be an addition to this week's Project Life.  On the "flipside," I will be adding some memorabilia from the event.



No comments: