Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Happy Birthday, Pardner!

I spent far too much time pondering tonight. I think it was because my day went from 0 to 60 before 8 AM. Allow me to explain.

Many who read this blog know I changed grade levels. I taught middle level/junior high practically my whole teaching career. After finding that my son has autism, and spending many a stressful morning trying to get him ready amidst ear-piercing screaming, we decided that I should look for an elementary job. The elementary jobs in my district begin an hour later than the junior high job I had. I changed to fourth grade, and, I have to admit, it really helps in the morning. THIS morning, in particular, as a matter of fact. Max was up coughing at 3 AM. Of course then at 7 AM, he didn't want to have anything to do with waking up. All of his morning routine was shot to smithereens. We have to get him to daycare around 7:30 so he can eat before the bus picks him up at 7:45 for morning pre-school. Well, he didn't want his socks, his shoes, his teeth brushed, his Pull-Up changed, or anything to do with a jacket. There was much kicking, slapping, and whining.

So, needless to say, #1 (as I lovingly call my first born) cannot just go with the flow. We get down the road at 7:25, and he tells me he forgot his band materials AND that it was picture day (Catholic school... nonuniform day... huge deal). Luckily, his dad was able to bail him out and drive some stuff by school for him.

Well, when I got to school I was fried, but school wasn't starting for almost another hour. THANK GOD. It was the first morning that I completely felt why this change was crucial to my well-being. Then I worked straight through my preps, my lunch, and all the way to around 5 PM. That part I am trying to streamline. It'll come.

Before leaving school, one of my students says, "Mrs. Plato, isn't tomorrow Mr. Johnson's birthday?" Why yes, it is. So, I baked and I crafted tonight. I still want to make a class card for my students to sign, but this card is my card for my new teaching partner (actually, it's more like I am HIS new partner). I took my sweet time making it, tearing things off, looking at different angles, different patterned paper... you know. I like the end result.
Size: 4.25 x 5.5 inches
Paper: SU! Basic Gray, Always Artichoke, Winter Retreat Simply Scrappin', SEI velvet paper, PTI white
Stamp: SU! Sincere Salutations
Ribbon: SU! Basic Gray and Mellow Moss taffeta
Embossing: Cuttlebug
Eyelets: SU! jumbo pewter

No comments: